Professional carpet cleaners advise how to regularly clean and maintain carpets to insure warranties stay in effect and that carpets stay fresh and spot-free for a lifetime.
LITTLETON, CO – Carpeting is one of the most valuable assets any homeowner has, as it enhances the beauty of rooms, hallways and stairs, and adds an inviting warmth to the surroundings. But carpeting also takes a beating like no other home furnishing, collecting dust and dirt, absorbing inevitable spills, and undergoing constant wear and tear from foot traffic that only compounds the soiling.
Carpet specialists recommend weekly thorough vacuuming, particularly for the high traffic areas, to prevent dirt and grime from getting ground into the fibers. It is also advisable to quickly clean any spills, soaking up liquid, using warm water and mild soap to remove spotting, or to use a carpet spot remover recommended by the carpet manufacturer.
However, anyone who performs the regular vacuum and spot maintenance and then does occasional steam cleaning knows that the level of additional dirt extracted is often amazing, even horrifying.
Professional carpet cleaners take that a step further: no matter how often a client has cleaned and vacuumed, even in the most fastidiously clean homes, professional steam cleaning will remove so much extra grime build-up that even “white glove” proponents are impressed.
Homeowners should know that nearly all carpet manufacturers, from the basic suppliers to those creating luxury weaves for the finest homes, recommend at least annual professional steam cleaning to maintain the beauty and increase the lifespan of their floor coverings. In fact, many stain-resistant manufacturer warranties require professional cleaning every 2 years, and certain procedures performed by some cleaning services that purport to be professional may actually void the warranty using unapproved cleaning methods.
From an internet search of professional carpet cleaners, here is a compilation of carpet-care tips that will insure long life, durability and beauty to carpets throughout any home:
- The most critical element in maintaining carpets is keeping on top of high-traffic areas. Dirt must be removed on a regular basis or it will cause excessive wear to the carpet fibers.
- The second most concern is spot removal. Danger spots—red wine, red beverages, urine and blood—require immediate treatment or can cause permanent stains. When a carpet is new or has sufficient protector on it, plain tap water will remove many spots. However, for those spots that will not move easily with water, a professional certified cleaner can recommend an effective spot remover and offer instruction on its use. (Most over-the-counter spot removers leave too much soap residue and can cause the carpet to yellow. Avoid foam carpet cleaners or any product that is not made specifically for carpet, experts say.)
- Residential carpets are treated with stain-resistant properties and soil resistors such as DuPont Teflon or 3M Scotchgard™. After a period of 2 to 3 years, some of the soil resistor will wear off; a professional carpet cleaner can re-apply the treatment after professional cleaning, maintaining the carpet warranty.
- Vacuum often – once or twice weekly before the carpet appears soiled. Vacuuming removes the abrasive dirt particles – most of which isn’t visible – that cause premature wear. Food, leaves, pieces of crayon, bugs, etc. can cause spots.
- Have carpets professionally cleaned annually by a certified firm. Extremely heavy traffic areas may require more frequent cleaning. Proper cleaning will not leave behind a sticky residue and can be done safely as many times per year as needed.
Carpets that are maintained with proper care will last as much as 20 to 25 years in beautiful condition. Indeed, many warranties extend that far – if the homeowner follows all of the maintenance guidelines. Each manufacturer has their own set of rules for warranties, and these are available from every carpet retailer and most interior design firms which spec floor coverings in their work.
A Personal Touch Carpet Cleaners of Littleton, CO are experts in all aspects of carpet cleaning, with expertise in everyday homes and the finest luxury homes in Colorado, as well as in commercial office buildings and industrial locations. For more information visit call 720-344-2870.